Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cleveland Browns' Alex Mack named to AFC Pro Bowl squad; Joe Thomas earns third All-Pro nod

Alex Mack
Alex Mack was so excited about being named to the AFC Pro Bowl roster Monday morning that he was flying even before he boarded the afternoon flight to Hawaii.
"I got an email actually. I jumped up and down and ran around the room a couple times," Mack told the team's Web site. "I texted just about everyone that I knew. I called [my parents] this morning. They were really excited. They were fired up and I know my mom's going to try to get a plane ticket out."
Mack, who was added to the roster when the Jets' Nick Mangold was injured in the AFC Championship Game, met up in Hawaii with fellow Pro Bowler Joe Thomas, who received some great news of his own on Monday.
Thomas, a four-time Pro Bowler, won first-team Associated Press All-Pro honors for the second year in a row. It's also the third time in four years he's made the team. Thomas was the leading vote-getter among offensive tackles, with 22 of a possible 50 votes from a national media panel. Miami's Jake Long was second with 21.
Thomas was one of four Browns receiving All-Pro votes. The others were fullback Lawrence Vickers (four), Mack (one) and rookie cornerback Joe Haden (one). Guard Eric Steinbach, a second alternate to the Pro Bowl, did not receive any All-Pro votes.
Mack was a second alternate when the Pro Bowl teams were announced last month. The first alternate, Indianapolis' Jeff Saturday, will replace Steelers' rookie Maurkice Pouncey, who will miss the trip because he's in the Super Bowl. Pouncey also suffered a high ankle sprain in Sunday's victory over the Jets.
"I'm very excited to be able to go to Hawaii," Mack said in a statement from the Browns. "It's unfortunate that Nick had to get injured for me to go, but I'm looking forward to representing the Browns. It has been a lifelong dream for me and from here on, I'm working to make many more. I'm excited to be going and I can't wait to play in this game." 
Mack hasn't missed an offensive snap since being drafted 21st overall in 2009. In 2010, he helped spring Peyton Hillis for 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns. He's one of six Browns centers to earn Pro Bowl honors and the first since Tom DeLeone in 1981.
For the first time since the 1981, the Browns will have at least two offensive linemen in the Pro Bowl. That year, guard Joe DeLamielleure, DeLeone and tackle Doug Dieken all represented the Browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment