Monday, October 17, 2011

Josh Cribbs wants back on special teams, says his role on offense 'very insignificant'

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Josh Cribbs made it clear after the loss to Oakland that he wants to re-focus on special teams because his role on offense is "very insignificant." Josh Cribbs

Cribbs had five passes thrown his way and caught two for 30 yards, including a 23-yarder on a TD drive in which he used a nifty spin move for extra yards.

"I'm very insignificant on offense, so I need to be out there heavily on all special teams," said Cribbs. "I got the ball only twice, so that's insignificant right there. Snaps, it's insignificant. I want to help my team win. You get the ball to your athletes. I feel like where I'm an asset on this team is special teams and I want to re-focus on what got me into this league."

Cribbs added, "I want to say stuff, but I don't want to be a problem. I'll play [more] special teams because I'm not getting the ball."

He said he wouldn't want to change things "if I was making more of an impact" on offense. Instead, he'd like to get back to covering kicks and punts. He said he felt helpless watching the Raiders' Jacoby Ford score on a 101-yard return.

"I make tackles on special teams," he said. "I led the team every year when I was on coverage and I'm a dynamic special teams player. I don't remember a touchdown being scored on us being out there. I feel like we have enough receivers on offense to get things done. My touches this game are insignificant to the value I can bring to special teams."

He said he'll see if the coaches will be willing to put him back on coverage. Cribbs was the No. 3 receiver this week as rookie Greg Little was elevated to a starting job. Little finished with a team-high six catches for 72 yards, and came a yard shy of his first TD.

"Greg has been going good, he's stepped up a lot," said Cribbs. "We have capable receivers. My two catches aren't significant enough."

He said he wasn't being critical of the coverage units.

"We have capable guys, they've been making plays all year," he said. "I just feel like I can help rally the guys to make it even more powerful. Those guys are great, but they're young. I can add some experience on there and help them create more plays."

He finished by saying, "I ain't got to ask. I'm a vet, I just do. I'm on [special] teams. Get somebody else out [as a receiver]."

Full story: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/10/cleveland_browns_josh_cribbs_w.html

No comments:

Post a Comment