Saturday, November 17, 2012

Cleveland Browns' Josh Cribbs tells Plain Dealer: 'I feel caged' because of lack of opportunities on offense

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns kick returner Josh Cribbs, who has touched the ball only eight times on offense this season, vented his frustration as the Browns prepared to face the Cowboys on Sunday in Dallas. image

"I feel like I'm trapped," Cribbs told The Plain Dealer. "I feel like a caged athlete."

Cribbs, who's third in the NFL in kickoff return average and fourth in punt return average, is miffed he hasn't been used more on offense, especially after catching a career-high 41 passes for 518 yards and four touchdowns last season. The four TDs tied a team high.

This season, he has six catches for 54 yards and two runs for 8.

"Me going from being able to run the wildcat, to playing receiver last season and catching 41 passes and four touchdowns to nothing -- I can't believe it," said Cribbs. "By me not playing, I feel like they think I'm not good, that I've lost it. But I haven't. I feel when I'm out there I can contribute, but I'm not able to."

Cribbs, in the final year of his contract here, said he talked to coach Pat Shurmur about it earlier this season.

"There's no point," he said. "Obviously they feel like everybody that's in front of me is a better athlete. I disagree. I feel a different way than the coach feels about me. They must feel I can't produce. We have a difference of opinion."

Shurmur, who's stressed since the offseason that he values Cribbs as a returner, made a point this week of complimenting him for his superb play in all aspects of the kicking game.

"We know what kind of an impact he has on special teams, which can't go unnoticed," said Shurmur. "He does more than just the average returner because he's involved in all the coverage units and he's an outstanding competitor in that phase. I really appreciate it."

Shurmur feels Cribbs' return numbers are up this year and coverage units are better because he's focusing on special teams. Cribbs already has four kickoff returns of 40-yards or more this season and leads all active players with 33. Overall, the Browns are second in the NFL with both punt- and kick-return average. From a coverage standpoint, the Browns are third in the NFL in average field position (19.9) after a kickoff return.

"He's made a major impact on one-third of the game and he's doing a great job," said Shurmur.

Offensively, the Browns have turned to younger receivers such as rookies Josh Gordon, Travis Benjamin and Josh Cooper, but Cribbs feels he has more to offer and it's killing him not to prove it. Cribbs admitted it's even more frustrating considering it's his contract year and neither the new Browns' regime nor other teams are getting to see what he can do.

"There's something wrong when one of your best athletes doesn't get the ball," he said. "I'm tired of people saying they don't know how to use me. Get creative. Find ways.

"I can't even showcase myself. I'm more than a special teams player. I've proven that. I belong on the field more than this, more than what they're allowing me to do. I've tried to not to say much, but it's upsetting. We're nine games into the season and I haven't gotten a chance."

He insisted that his anger stems from the fact the Browns are 2-7.

"If the team were winning and we were successful every week on offense, I wouldn't say a word," he said. "Something needs to change. We've got find a way to win. You've got to think outside the box."

And although Shurmur hinted this week that some players might get more time down the stretch, Cribbs doesn't think he's one of them.

"There's no indication that things will be different over the last seven games," he said. "I'm a special teams player. My guys are rallying behind me and trying to send me to the Pro Bowl. I'm trying to ride that and get in the end zone. I'm going to keep trying to lead the league in returns and keep balling out and contribute as much as I can."

Cribbs, 29, said it's hard for him to watch the team lose week after week, which is why he stalked out of the locker room after the Baltimore game without talking.

"I look at the game film and it's hard for me to compose myself," he said. "I've got so much fight in me. I've been through it all here and I know how important it is for these fans to win and I want to be doing everything I can to help."

Despite his frustration and the perennial losing, Cribbs wants to finish his career here.

"It's because of these fans," he said. "I'm going to try to stay here. If Mr. (Jimmy) Haslam will have me, I'll stay. If not, I'm sure I'll be playing football somewhere else."

He said his agent hasn't talked yet with new CEO Joe Banner.

"No, we're just going to let it play out," he said.

In the meantime, he'll focus on being the best special teamer he can be.

"We feel like we're the best unit in the league and we take a lot of pride in that," said Cribbs. "I'm trying to do everything I can on special teams -- more than ever before -- because it's the only avenue I've got."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/11/cleveland_browns_josh_cribbs_i_3.html#incart_river#incart_2box

No comments:

Post a Comment