Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Colt McCoy says shoulder is healed: 'It feels as good as it's ever felt'


Colt McCoy said Monday the silver lining to the NFL lockout is gave time for the pinched nerve in his right shoulder to completely heal.
"It feels as good as it's ever felt," the Browns quarterback said in a phone interview. "Throwing-wise, I definitely feel back up to speed. I'm not getting fatigued as much as what I was. I really feel good and confident, so that's always a plus."
McCoy said one of his main goals in the off-season is to fully recover from the injury suffered on the fifth play of the BCS National Championship Game in January, 2010, when Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus drilled him in the shoulder.
"I didn't throw there for a good 1 1/2 to two months," said McCoy. "I just completely let my shoulder heal and did a ton of therapy. I still am, but it feels great now."
McCoy revealed during last February's Super Bowl week that he had good and bad days with the shoulder throughout his rookie season, suffering mostly from fatigue. He also said doctors had cautioned him it can take 2-3 years to recover.
But the shoulder held up fine last month during what Josh Cribbs dubbed "Camp Colt," a three-day offensive camp held April 21-23 at the University of Texas, McCoy's alma mater.
"We have a new coach and a new system and I'm really the only one that has that much clue about what's going on," said McCoy. "I've spent a lot of time in the playbook, so it was important for us to get together and study. It was a lot mental. We spent a lot of time understanding the basic foundation of what goes on in the West Coast. It's a lot different from what we ran last year."
McCoy and the others are planning their next camp, which could take place somewhere around May 19, possibly at Kent State. McCoy has already reached out to draft picks Greg Little, Jordan Cameron and Owen Marecic, and they're planning to attend depending on school schedules.
"I'm trying to keep it as quiet as I can, but we're going to get together -- whether it's in Cleveland, Austin, California, Florida, or wherever," said McCoy. "When we do, the draft picks will be there. Owen might still have classes at Stanford, but he's been in the true West Coast offense with [former Stanford coach] Jim Harbaugh the last couple of years, so he's already ahead of the game." "

No comments:

Post a Comment