Sunday, January 13, 2013

Can Cleveland Browns break the trend of 'here we go again?'

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Here we go again...

I bet I wasn't the only one thinking that when the Browns introduced Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach. This is not a knock on Chudzinski. The more research I do on the former Carolina offensive coordinator, the more I like the hire.

But it's still ... Here we go again. banner-chud-haslam-2013-cc.jpg

Two years ago, it was Pat Shurmur at a press conference like this. Four years ago, it was Eric Mangini. Chudzinski is the sixth coach since the team returned in 1999, and three have been wiped out in two years.

Here we go again...

That's why so many fans listen to the press conference for the new coach and think, "This will never work."

Chudzinski has the advantage not only of growing up a frustrated Browns fan, but being here twice as an assistant. But when he used the word "process," I winced. It was a flashback to Chris Palmer, the coach in 1999. Others have mentioned it.

Browns fans are weary of plans and "the process." They want to see progress in one place -- the victory column.

Here we go again...

At one point during the coaching search, I received several emails from fans who suddenly wanted Shurmur and his staff back because they feared the new guys would be even worse.

I much preferred Shurmur to Chip Kelly, the Oregon coach with zero pro experience in any capacity. But I have come to terms with Chudzinski, and not because he used to pretend to be Ozzie Newsome and Brian Sipe. Rather, he has had some degree of success with quarterbacks as different as Cam Newton and Derek Anderson.

The most impressive part of Chudzinski's two years as Carolina's offensive coordinator was last season with how he helped revive Newton, who was the star of his own huge pity party early in the year.

In the first eight games of 2012, Newton had six touchdown passes to eight interceptions, a 77.7 rating. The Panthers were 2-6. In the last eight games, Newton had 13 TDs, four interceptions. The Panthers were 5-3 as Newton had a 94.2 rating. That's real progress and an indication of solid coaching.

I believe Chudzinski will make Brandon Weeden a better quarterback, just as I believe Shurmur was correct insisting Weeden will be much better in 2013 for the simple reason that he's no longer an NFL rookie.

Here we go again...

That can change with a short winning streak. Remember the optimism when Mangini ended 2009 with four wins to finish at 5-11? Or when the Browns beat New Orleans and New England in back-to-back weeks in 2010? Or when they won three in a row this season?Fans are waiting for a reason to believe.

I look at the talent assembled by former general manager Tom Heckert (I still wish the Browns had kept him), and I'm optimistic. I just hope they get it right when it comes to the general manager.

The draft is coming and "Here we go again..." pops into my mind when I think of all the bad drafts. I'm trying not to think that way. I'm vowing to give everyone a fresh start. That's because two years from now, I don't want to sit through another press conference with another new coach.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2013/01/can_cleveland_browns_break_the.html

No comments:

Post a Comment