Saturday, February 5, 2011

Status query tires Colt McCoy

As quarterback Colt McCoy continued to make the rounds on sports talk shows, he revealed more about his standing with the Browns and the right shoulder injury he suffered during the 2010 BCS National Championship Game.
In an interview Thursday with Cleveland radio station WKNR (850-AM), McCoy said team brass has told him he will be the Browns' starting quarterback heading into training camp. Later in the day, Pro Football Talk Live host Mike Florio asked McCoy who will be the starter in Week 1 next season.
''Everybody seems to be asking me that same question,'' McCoy said. ''I am really excited about getting started. I know I'll be the starting quarterback.''
During an interview Wednesday on The Dan Patrick Show, a nationally syndicated television and radio show, McCoy didn't directly answer whether or not he had been told he is the starter. But as the questions kept coming, McCoy asserted himself as the No. 1 quarterback on the Browns' depth chart.
After the Browns selected McCoy out of the University of Texas in the third round (85th overall pick) of the 2010 NFL Draft, team President Mike Holmgren said he didn't expect McCoy to play as a rookie. But Holmgren's plan was foiled when quarterbacks Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace each suffered a high ankle sprain. McCoy played in eight games, despite missing three because of a high ankle sprain, and finished 2-6 as a starter.
''I think it will be a much different approach for me knowing that I'm going in there and being the quarterback as opposed to last year,'' McCoy told Tony Rizzo, host of WKNR's The Really Big Show. ''We didn't know if I was gonna play, and coach Holmgren had come out and said I wasn't gonna play. It's a lot different mentality. I'm really looking forward to it. [I'm] really excited, and I know the rest of the locker room, the rest of the team is.''
McCoy also told Rizzo he has not had surgery on his throwing shoulder, which he recently conceded has not completely healed since he hurt it during his last game with the Longhorns. Still, he's confident.
''I've had a few issues with [my shoulder], but nothing that's stopped me from playing,'' McCoy said. ''I feel really good right now. Through the offseason, [I'll be doing] a lot of rehab and strengthening. I'll be just fine.''

No comments:

Post a Comment