Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cleveland Browns will have at least six starters miss game in Philadelphia because of injury

Browns vs Eagles

BEREA, Ohio — Because of injuries the Browns' "dress rehearsal" game Thursday in Philadelphia will feature plenty of understudies, but the team still hopes to get a good idea where it's at as starters will get their last significant playing time of the preseason.

The Browns' offense will be without receiver Mohamed Massaquoi (foot), guard Eric Steinbach (back) and running back Brandon Jackson (toe). Receiver Josh Cribbs (hamstring) and running back Peyton Hillis (sore back) might not play and tight end Evan Moore could be limited after suffering a mild concussion last week.

The Browns' defense will be without starting safeties T.J. Ward (hamstring) and Usama Young (hamstring) and starting linebacker Chris Gocong (neck).

"It's tough, it's challenging," said quarterback Colt McCoy, who will play at least a half and possibly into the third quarter with the rest of the starters. "But that's football. You'd like to have those guys every day so you can develop a rhythm, but that's how it is and you've just got to keep playing."

Even Browns President Mike Holmgren weighed in on the revolving starting lineup this week.

"I'm going crazy so I can only imagine what [coach] Pat [Shurmur] is dealing with," Holmgren said. "It's frustrating because you know they're losing valuable teaching time. It's part of the game but it's never easy."

On the bright side for the Browns, running back Montario Hardesty will play for the first time since suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the final preseason game last year. Hardesty's return is even more pivotal now that Jackson is out indefinitely with the toe injury.

"We'll get [Montario] some work and see how he holds up," said Shurmur, who spent 10 years as an assistant with the Eagles. "I do think too much sometimes is as bad as not enough. We'll feel it out. He'll probably appear in the first half at some point."

Hardesty has held up well the past week despite plenty of contact in practice.

"I knew it was going to be a battle to get back and I wanted to take it full force," he said. "I've taken every rep at game speed, whether I've had pads on or not. I've been working hard since last year to get to this point, so it's time to go now."

Browns receiver Jordan Norwood, who figures to get plenty of playing time Thursday, is looking forward to playing his former team. He spent most of 2009 on the Eagles' practice squad and dressed for one game.

"I'd like to think I bring something unique as do all the other receivers," Norwood said. "I'm still on the road, still trying to head in that direction [of contributing]. I haven't stepped on the field in a regular season other than once in Philadelphia, so I'm still working on it."

The Eagles' offense, which the Steelers crushed last week, will have something to prove against the Browns. Quarterback Michael Vick threw three interceptions, no touchdowns and completed only five attempts for 47 yards. Vick was without starting receiver Jeremy Maclin and the Eagles' other starting wide receiver, DeSean Jackson, was coming off an injury and was limited.

Still, the Browns are gearing up for the 2010 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

"Playing against Michael Vick is when you realize dreams do come true," Browns rookie defensive end Jabaal Sheard said. "Just getting a chance to play him, it's going to be crazy. But as much as I'm excited, I'm scared too. He's a fast guy and I'm on his front side so I've got to hold contain. It'll be a challenge."

Browns No. 1 pick Phil Taylor is excited to play against his former Baylor teammate Danny Watkins, the Eagles' No. 1 pick and starting right guard.

"It'll be fun, a good test," Taylor said. "I feel like I'm doing well. I think I caught up from the four days [of holding out] in the first two days I was here. I think our whole front is working well together."

The game also marks a homecoming for Browns cornerback Sheldon Brown, who played eight seasons for the Eagles before signing with the Browns last season.

McCoy, who had led the Browns to five touchdowns in his nine preseason possessions, hopes to build on the first two exhibition games.

"Obviously, it's a huge challenge with Philadelphia," McCoy said. "They're a good football team. We all know who's on their team. We have our hands full for sure."

Original story:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/08/cleveland_browns_will_have_at.html

No comments:

Post a Comment