Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Super Bowl ring won't diminish Brandon Jackson's desire to improve the Cleveland Browns

Greenbay 2010 Super Bowl Ring

BEREA, Ohio -- Brandon Jackson was so moved by winning a Super Bowl in Green Bay last season that he refused to let anyone wash his jersey.

He also knew it might be the last time he'd ever wear it.

"That jersey will not be washed," Jackson told the Green Bay Press-Gazette two days after the game. "It'll be hung up, framed with the rest of my jerseys that I have from college and high school. That 32 is very special to me. That's four hard years of dedication, blood, sweat, tears, and adversity that goes into that 32. It's emotional when I talk about it because I've been through a lot here." Brandon Jackson

But Jackson (5-10, 216) won't be pining for his Packers days when he faces them Saturday night in the Browns' offensive backfield.

"There won't be a lot of hugging going on," he said Monday. "I'm here to do a job. I'm coming into a new era with the Cleveland Browns and I feel great about it. I feel like there's a lot of momentum going forward and I just want to have a lot of success for the team and for myself."

A second-round pick of the Packers in 2007 out of Nebraska, Jackson started a career-high 13 games last season in place of Ryan Grant, who was lost for the season with a Week 1 ankle injury. Jackson rushed for 703 yards and three TDs on 190 carries, adding another 342 yards on 43 receptions.

But by season's end, Jackson -- a career third-down back to that point -- had lost the starting job to rookie sensation James Starks, who carried the load during the postseason. The Packers also drafted running back Alex Green in the third round, and the writing was on the wall. He was signed by the Browns as a free agent when camp opened.

"It wasn't hard to leave," said Jackson. "My opportunity is here and I'm trying to take advantage of that. This was the best choice for me and my family."

Jackson's presence in training camp has been more prominent as Montario Hardesty has been idle since the second day to rest his surgically-repaired knee. Jackson's been getting plenty of reps since he joined practice on Thursday and had a solid showing in Saturday's Family Day practice.

"We really like him," said Browns General Manager Tom Heckert during the first week of camp. "He's a perfect fit for us. Obviously coming from the West Coast offense, he's going to have a feel of what we're doing. But he was a guy that started 13 games and had [703] yards for a team that won the Super Bowl, so that's not half bad."

Heckert added Jackson "can pass protect, he can catch the ball, and he's got great vision. He's a great addition." He was unworried by Jackson's so-so 3.7-yards per carry average last season. For comparison's sake, Peyton Hillis averaged 4.4 yards.

"Nothing against Green Bay, but I think we can run the football," said Heckert. "We did that very well last year. He's obviously got to show he can do it, but that wasn't a concern for us. We think he can run it."

Jackson, who started only three games before last season -- all in 2007 -- is happy with his third-down role, but envisions bigger things.

"Hopefully I'll get more carries here and prove that I can be an every down back and help Peyton carry the load," he said.

Jackson, 25, said he brings plenty to the table, both on and off the field. "I'm still young, I know how to win and I have experience," he said. "I feel like my strengths are making the first guy miss, getting downhill, running the ball hard and picking up the first down."

Jackson also prides himself on no fumbles and no penalties in his four seasons in Green Bay, attributing it to his work ethic.

"What you put into practice is what you're going to get out of it," he said. "You don't fumble the ball in practice."

Coach Pat Shurmur said he was impressed with Jackson during Saturday's practice and is looking forward to seeing him against the Packers.

"He's got burst, he's got size and he's a good runner," said Shurmur. "I'm sure he'll be amped up to play his former team, a team he contributed greatly to. I'm sure he's got a lot of friends there."

Jackson vowed there will be no revenge factor motivating him.

"I feel like it's a good competitive edge," he said. "I'm just trying to help my new team get better."

Original story:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/08/super_bowl_ring_wont_divide_br.html

No comments:

Post a Comment