Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pat Shurmur says he has the foundation for a good team

CLEVELAND -- After watching more film of his first NFL roster than he ever anticipated, Browns coach Pat Shurmur likes what he has to work with so far.
"I feel good about what we have to start with, I feel good about the coaches we have in place and I'm anticipating when we can put it all together,'' Shurmur said today after working with kids at the Cleveland Browns Youth Football Camp at the stadium. "I feel like the systems that we're teaching are time-proven. I'm not going to be predicting, but I feel like we've got the foundations of a good team.''
Shurmur isn't crying "woe is me'' over trying to install a new offense and new defense without any off-season practices.
"I don't feel like we're at more of a disadvantage,'' he said. "We're one of 32 teams. New teams, old teams, every year you re-create the chemistry that makes you a good team. I guess naturally there should be some anxiety going into a new season without preparation to this point with the players, but once we get up and running, we'll get it all taught.''
Shurmur addressed a number of other topics this morning:
• On whether or not the Browns would be interested in former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft: "I can't comment on that situation.''
• On Bucs coach Raheem Morris admitting he's talking to his players: "We're making an effort to follow all the rules to the 'T' and we realize what the rules are. We know it's a little bit restrictive. As coaches you want to be in a coaching setting, but we're making every effort to follow the rules.''
• On running back Montario Hardesty's availability for training camp: "To the best of my knowledge, he's progressing well and will be ready to participate (fully) once training camp starts. That's my understanding. We'll see when we finally get to training camp.''
• What's the most important thing after the lockout ends: "To get the players in. That will be the focus. Get the players in and start to communicate with them and get them up to speed so that we can really compete and play well this season.''
• On priorities in free agency: "Filling our roster with some good young talent as well as some of the guys that are currently in the league. They're equally important.''
• On plans for training camp: "We've planned a full training camp and we'll adjust accordingly. I was in there this morning proofreading some of the stuff, but it's ready to go. We'll just get it up and running when the players get here.''

No comments:

Post a Comment